‘Healthy’ Pharmacist Dies From Bee Stings

A pharmacist and passionate leisure-time beekeeper has died from an unexpected allergic reaction after being stung by his bees.

Father-of-two Frédéric Mourgues was managing his hives in Bagnols-sur-Cèze near Avignon in southern France when the fatal incident occurred.

According to Midi Libre, the apiculture enthusiast even focused on pollinators in his doctor’s thesis.

His colleague Agnès Rivier told the local newspaper: “All was well. He was fit and healthy. There were no medical conditions he was aware of.”

Another workmate from the local Pharmacie des Escanaux, Frédéric Santori, added: “His whole body was swelling really badly. This can end fatal. It’s a rather rare but very violent phenomenon.”

The allergic reaction resulted in cardiac arrest, according to French news sources.

Family, friends, workmates and customers were shocked by the news of Frédéric’s decease.

One regular client of the pharmacy commented on social media: “A beautiful soul has left us. Frédéric Mourgues, a pharmacist at des Escanaux has departed for another universe.”

The Mayo Clinic describes anaphylaxis as “a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.”

The renowned medical research centre in Rochester in the US State of Minnesota warns that it “can occur within seconds or minutes of exposure to something you’re allergic to, such as peanuts or bee stings.”

The Mayo Clinic’s fact sheet also says that “anaphylaxis causes the immune system to release a flood of chemicals that can cause you to go into shock — blood pressure drops suddenly and the airways narrow, blocking breathing.”

The condition must be treated immediately.


1 Comments Text

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *